After World War II, there emerged in Kups, Bavaria, a porcelain character stein manufacturer called Wilhelm Rittirsch Porcelain Factory. They were formed in 1950 and lasted well into the 1970s. Although the factory output was limited, the character steins produced are very collectable.
All Rittirsch character steins are made of porcelain, have pewter lid rims, and are ½ liter in size. They never carry a capacity mark as none was required after World War II.
Rittirsch used a very distinctive blue base mark on some of their figurals. It consisted of a W and an R that were linked by an unusual design (see figure__). Sometimes the phrase Dresden Art or Made in Germany was also included. For many years, collectors referred to these character steins as Dresden Art steins, giving the impression that this was the name of the manufacturer.